Create bootable USB drive for windows installation
Monday, April 29, 2019
How to make USB drive bootable to copy OS setup files on it and use it to install Windows on any machine.
– Open CMD and type diskpart
– In diskpart console, type the following commands
o List disk
§ This is to know what is the number of your USB drive. In this example it is number 1. Notice that disk 0 is your main hard drive on your computer. Never touch it please.
o Select disk 1
§ This is to start working on the USB drive
§ This is will wipe the USB drive. Note that it will erase everything on the drive.
o Create partition primary
§ This is to create a partition on the USB drive using it all available space
o Format quick fs=ntfs
§ This is to reformat the USB as ntfs to start using it.
§ This is very important. It is to make the drive bootable
§ This is to give the USB drive a letter so that windows can recognize it.
§ You will notice that a windows explorer opens for you to copy any files on it.
– Now, double click on the ISO file to mount it in windows. In this example I will use win10 iso file.
– Select all files in the mounted drive and copy it to the USB drive.
– Boot the USB drive on any computer to install windows 10 on it again. Make sure that you have the key to enter it when asked.